Photobucket

Sahabat Maya :

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Through Our Eyes

By Lim Xin Ning, 17, Kuala Lumpur



Six months ago, I was introduced to Niexter through a workshop at Balai Berita NSTP for young writers. My dream come true – I’ve always wanted the chance to be a writer of a teenage pullout. Every participant at the workshop was given the opportunity to be a part of Niexter, and I grabbed my chance.
That was when they only had 40 writers.

Today, there are approximately 500 contributors, around Malaysia.

Six months ago, my friends would throw me blank expressions if I mentioned Niexter.

Today, everyone waits eagerly for the Niexter pullout to be published every Thursday, guessing what the themes are going to be for the week.

All these changes can only allow me to conclude that Niexter is no more the unknown teenage pullout it was in past months.
Niexter’s first editorial briefing for teen reporters..
Niexter’s first editorial briefing for teen reporters..

Over this past year, it has evolved into the hottest teenage pullout among us teenagers and even some adults love it.



By Ashwin Arumugam, 16, Kuala Lumpur

Last year was a year of growth for all of us at Niexter. It seems like only yesterday our supervisors at New Straits Times called us up and asked if we would like to write for them. For most of our writers who have been with us from the very beginning, every step we take is a step forward.

We wouldn’t be where we are today if it wasn’t for our dedicated team of supervisors, who helped us and gave us moral support every time we needed it. They would push us to our very limits just to get an article out of us.

In the past year, everyone at Niexter got to know each other better. We are a diverse mix of vibrant, young and talented people. In Malaysia, we call that rojak. And it’s this rojak mixture that fuels Niexter. I guess you could call it the biodiesel of literacy.

Without the fuel, there is no fire. But, if the spark is not there, there is no fire. There was one thing that set us off, the initial thrust of power. Our supervisors at the New Straits Times were ever ready to lend us a helping hand.

I have to say that the commitment from each and everyone of us at Niexter is never ending. It’s like a renewable source of energy that will never run out. Like I said, we’ve had a great year, and we hope to have many more ahead of us!


By Wong Sher Min, 17, Johor Baru

When I laid my eyes on an ad in the papers last year about Niexter being this pullout section from the New Straits Times that was written by teens for teens, I was hooked, and eventually knew that I just had to be part of it!


I thought that it was just perfect for me to jumpstart my ambition of being a photo-journalist. If my work is good enough, it’ll get published! And so, my mum, who is also a teacher in my school, suggested that a few of my friends and I to go for it!

Niexter reporter Deena Yasmeen talking to Mohd Fahmi, a Telekom Malaysia scholarship holder.
Niexter reporter Deena Yasmeen talking to Mohd Fahmi, a Telekom Malaysia scholarship holder.

Before I know it, I was already in the Niexter family! Writing about topics I like, writing according to the assignments given and just writing for Niexter itself. It has been amusing to me.

Niexter has always been an open door for me to connect with other teens through my articles and my view on things. And, through this whole year of growth, I think Niexter has become a portal for teens to not only showcase our work but also inspire readers with them.

So, I’m extremely proud to be part of Niexter and I will continue writing, inspiring other teens to voice out their thoughts and take charge!

Happy Anniversary, Niexter!



By Himmat Singh, 17, Petaling Jaya

When I saw the Niexter pullout in the New Straits Times for the first time, I said to myself, “I am gonna write in there someday.”

Seeing those of my age, and some even younger, writing in the paper encouraged me to do the same.

I have written in a few issues and I know I will continue writing in the future, too.

Niexter provides a platform for teenagers to experience journalism first-hand.

Anybody who hasn’t been reading Niexter is definitely missing a lot. If you harbour any plans to write in Niexter, I reckon you get in touch with someone from the NIE team as soon as possible.

I have most certainly taken pleasure in writing for Niexter, and also reading it.

Happy Birthday!
Niexter reporter Anusha Vijeyaratnam (right)  talking to a fitness coach about working out.
Niexter reporter Anusha Vijeyaratnam (right) talking to a fitness coach about working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...