Photobucket

Sahabat Maya :

Sunday, October 19, 2014

General English (Esei Ilmiah & Forum UPSI)





PPG PJJ 
SEMESTER 1 SESI 2014/2015




Assignment 1

(Video-Recorded Speech Presentation) (20%)



·         Make a video recording of a speech based on the topic given below.
·         The speech should be 4-5 minutes in length. Do not do voice-over.
·         When doing the presentation you must wear formal attire. Also make sure that the background setting reflects the academic speech that you are giving.
·         It is up to you how to make the video recording using any of the ICT gadgets available in the market. However, your mark will be determined by your speech presentation only and not the sophistication of the video (Please refer to the mark scheme for further information).
·         Submit the video to the platform provided in MyGuru (platform 1).
·         Do not submit the text of your recording.
·         Make sure that the video can be read by Windows Media Player and not password protected (if linked to YouTube). (It is your responsibility to check on this and NOT the lecturers).
·         Do not post (postal services) your video.
·         Please PM your lecturer if you are unable to submit on time by providing valid reasons.
·         Your tutor will evaluate the speech presentation based on the mark scheme provided.
·         However, if you read from text, your mark will be evaluated based on the mark scheme.

      TOPIC:
Give a 5-minute talk on how the Internet can be used for education.







instructor this semester
 Profesor Madya Dr. Nor Azmi bin Mostafa 




ASSIGNMENT 2 (ESSAY WRITING)

(WEIGHTAGE 20%)






Write an essay of comparison and/or contrast on the topic below.



Have you ever visited a place you had left long time ago and found it had changed considerably? Write an essay comparing and contrasting “the way it was” with the “way it is now”.



You may choose ONE of the following places below and write your essay:




·         Your previous school that you have studied.

·         A historical place you have visited.

·         A neighbourhood you have lived before.

·         A university that  you have visited/studied.




Your essay should not be less than 350 words.




You have to plan your comparison and/or contrast essay using the block-by-block method (refer page 129 of your module):



Introduction
  Provide some background information about your topic.
Identify the two things being compared and contrasted.
    State the purpose for making the comparison and/or contrast.
Body
In the first paragraph, discuss the similarities.
In the next paragraph, discuss the differences.
Conclusion
  Summarise the main similarities and differences.
  A final remark on the importance of the topic.



An example of the comparison and contrast essay using the block-by-block method is given below:



Introduction
      Several years ago, I returned to Bidor, Perak, and visited one of my old neighbourhoods. I had not been on the Settlement Area for more than 10 years and as I walked along the area, my mind was flooded by waves of memories. I saw the old houses on the Settlement area where I had lived and played. As I viewed these once-familiar surroundings, images of myself as a child there came to mind. However what I saw and what I remembered were not the same. I sadly noticed that the best memories are those left undisturbed.
Body
   I remembered my old house area, it was bright and alive. The house area was more than just a place to live. It had vast open space, or whatever my young mind could imagine. I could go and play with my friends in the open space. This was always exciting because it was spacious and could do many things there to hide among.  
       This is how I remembered the old neighbourhood; however as I said, this is not how it was when I saw it again. Unlike the house area I remembered, this one was rundown and in despair. What was once more than a place to live looked hardly worth living in. The open space was dirty and loaded with old broken furniture. There were no young kids playing and running around; instead were a few tough looking adolescents who looked very older than their ages.
Conclusion
 
As for the house area when had grown up, it was hardly recognizable. The house area was polluted and the plants had withered. The house area was filled with old bicycles, broken bottles, and garbage. Now, instead of finding something as pleasant for the eyes, one would expect to find only barren area. 
     I do not regret having seen my old neighbourhood. However, I do not think my innocent childhood memories can ever be the same again. I suppose it is true when they say, “You can never go home again.”







NOTE:


  You should have the integrity to write the essay yourself (Do note that tutors have the software to detect plagiarisms).

   No mark will be given to an essay that contains 30% or more of plagiarized work.




Follow the format given below:



o   Font size: 12 point

o   Font type: Times New Roman

o   Line spacing: 1.5













No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...